[hibernate-dev] Native-SQL queries and flushing

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Sep 10 01:05:35 EDT 2013

We will need to make a slight change to execution of native SQL queries
in order to pass the JPA 2.1 TCK.  The new TCK tests that execution of a
native SQL query does an "auto flush".

The problem with this is that, unlike with HQL/JPQL, we do not know the
tables affected by a native SQL query (and doing so would be extremely
difficult and not worth the effort).  Historically, Hibernate users
would have relied on the
addSynchronizedQuerySpace/addSynchronizedEntityName methods of
org.hibernate.SQLQuery to indicate the tables needing flushed.  JPA
however has no such notion.

As I see it, I think the change here needs to be to implicitly perform a
*full flush* when a JPA native SQL query is executed where the
wrapped/underlying org.hibernate.SQLQuery does not define any "query
spaces"; a partial flush just is not possible in that case. That allows
us to pass the TCK, but still allows users to set "query spaces" if they
wish to do the more efficient partial auto-flush.

Any alternate suggestions?