[hibernate-dev] Why Hibernate 4.2.x should receive more updates

Marc Schipperheyn m.schipperheyn at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 08:34:32 EDT 2014

Just wanted to outline some reasons for keeping the Hibernate 4.2.x release
train alive.

I would love to update today to 4.3.x. But I'm on Spring 3.x and the
Hibernate 4.3.x line only made it into Spring 4.x. So everybody using
Spring 3.x will be stuck on 4.2.x. I would say that's prob just about
everybody using Spring. Spring 4 was only recently released.

IMHO this is not on the Spring team but on the fact that a significant
refactoring was executed post Hibernate 4.0.x. The corresponding Spring
JIRA is here SPR-10839 <https://jira.spring.io/browse/SPR-10839>
One idea would be to release an adapter that allows Hibernate to be used
with Spring 3.x. I'll be upgrading to Spring 4 soon, so I only care fore
convenience sake, but I control my IT infra. If you guys want the latest
and greatest Hibernate on all Spring installs this year, you might consider
helping that along a little.

Cheers,
Marc