[hibernate-dev] Compatibility Considerations wiki

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Aug 13 10:32:22 EDT 2014

Thanks Steve!
that's extremely useful.

My only doubt is the relation between release families, quoting:
 >> Hibernate considers the {major}.{minor} combination a release "family".

and then later below in paragraph "The rules" :
 >>  API contracts should be considered stable across all releases in a family.

I'm not sure if you mean that 4.4.0 and 4.4.1 are (promised to be) API
compatible, while 4.3.0 and 4.4.0 are not..
I would say from the definition above that I should not expect that as
the two are in a different family, still the following example seems
to point out that any 4.x will be drop-in compatible with 4.0.0 ?

It would also help to understand the rules better to explain when the
team decides to bump the major version.

Sanne