[hibernate-dev] Compatibility Considerations wiki

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 14 13:21:20 EDT 2014

That should read "API contracts should be considered stable within all
releases within a major version".  As an example, an application developer
should be able to develop against APIs as available in 4.2 and be able to
drop 4.3 into that application without changes, so long as they rely only
on defined APIs.

This is what is called backwards compatibility: meaning that any changes
done in 4.3 are done in such a way as to remain compatible with older
(backward) versions.  Personally, I find the terms confusing because I
think of it in terms of "porting" the application forward to use a newer
version of a library.

The inverse is something we actually do not guarantee in regards to APIs
and going back to an older version (reverting).  An example here would be
developing an application using the natural-id API developed in 4.2 and
then trying to port that application to use 4.1.  That won't work.

So within a major version we guarantee APIs to be backwards compatible, but
not forward compatible.

Does that wording help clarify?