[hibernate-dev] Reflite

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Jun 3 09:09:55 EDT 2014

Not exactly sure what you mean by "favoured" it.  I'm the one who wrote it
all for sure, if that's what you mean.  But I was just trying something.
 The java.lang.Class model has pros and cons to it.  I had just wanted to
investigate alternative models to see whether those pros/cons could be
improved.

The point is that this isn't just my call (imo).  It should be a consensus.
 If no one else had played with it enough to have an opinion then that is a
different deal.  Here are my thoughts, and maybe we can all discuss the
generalities.

So the ubiquitous nature of java.lang.Class is both a pro/con.  To that
model classes, interfaces, arrays, primitives all look the same.  That's
great for some things (generalized algorithms: e.g. walk hierarchies), but
lacking for others.

I guess the conclusion I came to was that I am not sure if the split model
currently in reflite gains enough to offset the unique model.  What I mean
is that if reflite followed a java.lang.Class-like paradigm for defining
the model, then there is a certain parallel familiarity when people first
come into reflite code.