[hibernate-dev] HHH-7610 Embedded: emptiness and dirtiness

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Oct 24 10:30:15 EDT 2014

I personally do not think it is correct to change the existing behavior
here, but I do not have a strong feeling for it.  I just believe that you
don't change historical behaviors that work as designed except as protected
by the setting to enable the new feature or improvement.

I really do not get the performance point you are making.  You mean because
of potential "extra" updates?  Well, again that is the design, and from
that perspective the app is misusing Hibernate.  Whether the design is
"correct" and whether the code properly works according to the design are 2
totally different discussions.

As for 4.3.x, for me that again goes back to this not being a bug.  4.3 is
a maintenance branch now, meaning it should only include bug fixes in any
releases.  So IMO this should not be part of the 4.3 branch.  I do want to
have a discussion about possibly doing another 4.x release as a sort of
incremental stepping stone to the 5.0 work on master.  The plan is to have
that discussion next week, since quite a few of us will be meeting face to
face.  I can see this being a part of that new branch if we end up doing it.