[hibernate-dev] HHH-7610 Embedded: emptiness and dirtiness

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:38:30 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
> As for 4.3.x, for me that again goes back to this not being a bug.  4.3 is a
> maintenance branch now, meaning it should only include bug fixes in any
> releases.  So IMO this should not be part of the 4.3 branch.  I do want to
> have a discussion about possibly doing another 4.x release as a sort of
> incremental stepping stone to the 5.0 work on master.  The plan is to have
> that discussion next week, since quite a few of us will be meeting face to
> face.  I can see this being a part of that new branch if we end up doing it.

I kinda agree with you on the 4.3.x part even if it doesn't meet my
business requirements but I agree this is my problem!

But... I can't see the consistency of the current behavior:
- if your embedded is empty, you get null from the ORM when you save and get it
- but hey null and empty embedded are not the same so I will save your
entity again if you set it to an empty embedded

So my point is:
1/ I agree that changing the fact that Hibernate returns empty
components instead of null needs a configuration thingy in the 4.x
branch; I would personnally like it to be the default in 5.x;
2/ but the 2nd statement above should really be changed IMHO to be
consistent with the 1st one.

Anyway we'll try to come up with a sensible patch in the next few days
and we then will be able to decide what to do with it!

--
Guillaume