[hibernate-dev] HQL and spatial

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Aug 25 23:20:20 EDT 2015

Karel, etal

We have discussed spatial-specific extensions to HQL for quite some time.
But those discussions have always been kind of esoteric ("boy wouldn't it
be nice to have some spatial support in HQL").

As we are working on redesigning the parsing and interpretation of HQL
queries and since spatial has been integrated upstream, it seems like a
great time to discuss specifics of what this might mean.

I have never used spatial data, let alone crafted queries using spatial
data.  So I am not the best driver here.

What kinds of things make sense to add to HQL for supporting spatial
queries?