[hibernate-dev] To identify the version of Hibernate ORM at runtime

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Mon Mar 2 08:57:42 EST 2015

> Or we could improve on those methods, if not actually adding some easy
to consume resource in the orm jars.

Doesn't such resource already exist, in the form of META-INF/MANIFEST.MF ->
key "Implementation-Version"?

Based on that you should be able to raise a meaningful error if the ORM
version is "too old". It doesn't help with incompatible future ORM
versions, but it should improve the experience in some cases.