[hibernate-dev] Checkstyle and ORM

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri May 15 19:19:42 EDT 2015

FYI : https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-9803

Its not super high on my priority list, but I want to get to a point where
we can start to fail the build on "serious checkstyle regressions".  Part
of that is being more realistic with what is considered serious, and part
of that is fixing up code.

For example, we have quite a few warnings about spaces rather than tabs for
indentation.  That's a serious one to me.  There are quite a few "unused
import" warnings, again to me that's serious (it just looks sloppy).

A few I have already disabled.  Checking that there is a package-info.java
file for example.  I'd love to make a requirement that all API and SPI
packages have one.  But as far as I know that detailing is not available in
checkstyle, and I really dont overly care about package-info.java files for
internal packages.

These are just a few examples.  #909[1] (still running atm) is the first
build with my preliminary work here.  Let me know if there are any checks
anyone feels strongly about in one bucket or another.

[1] http://ci.hibernate.org/job/hibernate-orm-master-h2/909/