[hibernate-dev] AvailableSettings#USE_NEW_ID_GENERATOR_MAPPINGS

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Sat May 16 14:02:49 EDT 2015

>From a performance and maintainability perspective I think there is a big
win in moving to the new generators.  But the problem is people migrating
and the change in expectations.  2 specific examples:

1) User migrating where the legacy code picked "identity" generation.  The
new code would pick "sequence style" generation.  How do these users
migrate or update their schemas?  I am pretty sure our schema update tool
does not support de-IDENTITY-fying columns.  In fact I don't even know how
to do that in any db, let along in any kind of standard way.

2) Users migrating where the legacy code picked any of the "hilo"
generations.  The new code would pick "sequence style" generation.  Here
the problem is the values stored in the sequence/id-table versus how those
are translated to id values stored in the entity tables.   How would users
migrate those values?