[hibernate-dev] Changelog file in Hibernate ORM

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri May 29 06:59:47 EDT 2015

On 29 May 2015 at 08:15, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

>> On 28 May 2015, at 10:42, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:01:51PM -0400, Brett Meyer wrote:
>>> +1 from me.  Although, on the other hand, do we really need to keep maintaining that to begin with?  I guess I never thought simply having users go to the JIRA release notes was a big deal.  Just my $.02.
>>
>> Same for me on both counts, the proposed handling of changelog.txt as well as Brett's comment regarding the usefulness of this file altogether.
>
> A more frequent than I thought usage of changelog vs JIRA is a mix of Ctrl+F + quick scan to know what has changed in a library or know what is affecting me. JIRA is not the most intuitive UI in the universe. With allt he bug statuses, the various intermediary releases to select etc, nothing beats changelog.txt.

+1
- JIRA's UI is not too bad but let's remember that while we use it
since years, others might not feel comfortable with it
- many of those receiving our "dist" package might not have internet
access at all
- the dist packages is long term archived, like we include sources it
should contain a snapshot of all state. I like JIRA but who knows how
long it will be there?