[hibernate-dev] HQL and spatial

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Nov 9 16:32:40 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 2:52 PM Karel Maesen <karel at geovise.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>

> > On 02 Nov 2015, at 16:16, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
> >
> > Any further thoughts?
> >
> > I looked over the link you gave in regards to literals, but did not
> fully understand.  I'd prefer this follow some "escape syntax" form, beyond
> that maybe you could just enumerate the literal types you'd want to support
> and their formats.
>
> Spatial literals would be really nice to have, but then it is best to have
> also spatial functions in the grammar. So let’s try to add them. The escape
> syntax form is OK for me. We can have something like ‘{gm
> ‘SRID=4326;POINT(4.6 52.1)’}’ for a geometry literal.

I think it's best to not have the functions defined in the grammar.
Accounting for literals and accounting for functions are really 2 very
different things.

As for what I need... Well I need to understand what spatial types you'd
like to see definable as literals and what forms those literal definitions
might take.  Like looking at your "example" one, I have zero clue what that
is supposed to mean.

> How do we proceed? Do I write something up informally? Or is there a
> formalism you prefer?

For now, I think conversation (here, irc, whatever) is better. Let's see
where that leads.

> ALso, I have not seen any discussion around "boolean-function-expressions
> as predicates" on SQM-15…
>
> I’ll add some comments on that issue.

Great, thanks...