[hibernate-dev] A few questions about Search 5.5.0

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Sep 18 03:34:49 EDT 2015

Thanks Guillaume,

Good feedback, see inline.

> On 17 Sep 2015, at 21:43, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded our framework to 5.5.0 and I have a few questions about it.
>
> ==
> First, I had to remove the existing indexes otherwise I had exceptions
> about version of the index. Is this expected? As far as I remember, it's
> been a long time since we had to remove the indexes after an upgrade.
>
> Caused by: org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFormatTooOldException: Format
> version is not supported (resource
> BufferedChecksumIndexInput(MMapIndexInput(path="/data/services/test/data/helios/lucene/fr.openwide.helios.core.business.ticket.model.MessageFile/segments_1"))):
> -11 (needs to be between 1071082519 and 1071082519). This version of
> Lucene only supports indexes created with release 4.0 and later.
>
> Maybe it should be integrated in the blog post that one might need to
> clean up indexes if they come from before the switch to Lucene 4?

I will add a FAQ on that, check out this comment and my reply http://in.relation.to/2015/09/14/sorting-in-hibernate-search-55/#comment-2254593231 <http://in.relation.to/2015/09/14/sorting-in-hibernate-search-55/#comment-2254593231>
Basically, you *could* use “IndexUpgrader” but that would not be enough most likely. Safest best is to reindex.

> ==
> Second, I have warnings like that in my logs:
> HSEARCH000289: Requested sort field(s) company.nameSort, nameSort are not
> configured for entity type
> fr.openwide.helios.core.business.contract.model.HeliosContract mapped to
> index fr.openwide.helios.core.business.contract.model.HeliosContract, thus
> an uninverting reader must be created. You should declare the missing sort
> fields using @SortField.
>
> Shouldn't it be @Sort*able*Field?

We updated the name recently, I’ll fix that.

> ==
> And finally, since recently, it's necessary to sort dates using
> SortField.Type.LONG instead of SortField.Type.STRING. I haven't found this
> information in the blog posts of any releases. Or did I miss something?

It’s a bit subtle, but yes in the migration guides, you will see that dates now use numeric fields instead of string (faster and more compact AFAIR). I’ll look at the migration guide and adjust the wording if I can.