[hibernate-dev] People need an Hibernate Search release to match ORM 5.2
guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 09:36:17 EDT 2016
I had the same thought a few days ago. At Open Wide, we used to follow
the ORM versions very closely and we usually had a corresponding
Search version very soon.
I agree we need to release something compatible with ORM 5.2 sooner
rather than later.
I understand your concern about bringing Elasticsearch to WildFly
users but it feels quite weird for a "product" version to be the
reference for our community work.
IMHO, it would make more sense to have our main development efforts on
a community release backed by 5.2 and eventually backport the
Elasticsearch work to 5.6 and make a 5.6 release if it ends up to be
useful for product.
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> as you might be aware, ORM 5.2 made some rather radical internal work,
> and the latest Hibernate Search releases aren't compatible.
> So far, business as usual: we typically simply catch up on the next minor.
> The problem is that normally Hibernate Search releases are time-boxed
> - with us only merging new features when they are ready - so that we
> can trigger a release as needed, as contingency required.
> However currently we switched temporarily to a less desirable "we ship
> when it's ready" as the Elasticsearch integration couldn't possibly be
> developed by a single person in a feature branch, so in short we're
> not in a position to "just release" it, as it's not ready and this
> will take another month (optimistically). This would position
> Hibernate Search 5.6 in September.
> We'd also want to have WildFly users have a chance to use this new
> Elasticsearch feature, which ties us to make this release compatible
> with ORM 5.0 and 5.1.
> So Hibernate ORM 5.2 users who need Hibernate Search will need to wait
> for Search version 5.7, which in timelines would mean this fall.. way
> too far ahead.
> (I tried to figure out a way to make Search master compatible with
> both, but that's just not possible: it's either/or, barring an
> outrageous amount of work which I'd rather spend in finishing 5.6 and
> move on do do the migration properly..)
> On HSEARCH-2296  James proposed we could already publish a 5.7 SNAPSHOT.
> Assuming we can set the right expectations, what would you think of
> this idea to branch a 5.7 already even though 5.6 isn't done?
> We could even call it Alpha1 and tag appropriately. The goal is of
> course to make sure people have at least something they can test with
> and make progress while we put our stuff together.
> The downside is of course that all remaining work on 5.6 will have to
> be regularly rebased and applied to 5.7 too. Considering we won't do
> any other changes on 5.7 I don't expect this to hurt too much.
> 1 - https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HSEARCH-2296
> hibernate-dev mailing list
> hibernate-dev at lists.jboss.org
More information about the hibernate-dev