[hibernate-dev] Batch version data support in Dialect

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Feb 10 10:29:26 EST 2016

Dialect#defaultProperties is a broken concept IMO.  It was an attempt to
avoid an explosion of methods such as the one you propose.  I personally
agree that the specific methods are better.

However, all that said.. I do not believe what you say is accurate.  At
least not looking at the code.  In SessionFactoryOptionsStateStandardImpl
we build a Map of settings as follows:

1) apply Dialect#defaultProperties
2) apply user settings over top of that

So the user's setting should override the Dialect default.  That's how
settings should always work - something a user explicitly sets in their
config should always have precedence.  Are you seeing a case where that
does not happen as described?

Also, to clear up a misnomer... we don't "change the environment setting".
That's not how SessionFactoryOptionsStateStandardImpl and the config map
building works.