[hibernate-dev] Everyone: Need volunteers for mentoring GSOC

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Mar 1 12:27:46 EST 2016

Hi all,
earlier today in our IRC meeting [1] we discussed ideas for Google
Summer of Code;
mostly related Hibernate Search but not only:

Quoting the previous summary by Gunnar:
  1 - Java Batch API job for HSEARCH mass indexing
  2 - Solr backend
  3 - HSEARCH support for JHipster
  4 - HSEARCH support for Spring Data
  5 - Async API for ORM/OGM/HSEARCH
[It's not a closed list, you can also propose additional ideas.]

is anyone on this mailing list interested enough on these subjects to
volunteer mentoring?

I mentored two students last year and we had nice results, but I won't
be able to mentor this summer.

It would need to be someone who's regularly contributing already, and
ideally someone familiar with the technology we're integrating with:
most of the above proposals are about integrating with some other
standard or framework.

For example I wouldn't mentor on JHipster as all I know about it is
what I've seen in a couple of presentations... but if the student is
not too junior he can also be tasked with reaching out to "the other"
community to get guidance.

But for that I'd want us to be able to make some introductions at
least, to have some kind of "co-mentor" volunteered by the other
community/project.

Thanks,
Sanne

1 - http://transcripts.jboss.org/meeting/irc.freenode.org/hibernate-dev/2016/hibernate-dev.2016-03-01-14.04.html