[hibernate-dev] [OGM] Issue with a test and the new operation grouping infrastructure

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:31:23 EDT 2016

Hi,

This is a follow-up of https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-ogm/pull/767 .

So, in the PR, I commented the following test:
ManyToOneGlobalTest>ManyToOneTest.testRemovalOfTransientEntityWithAssociation
(the "ManyToOneGlobalTest>" part is important)

The test is a Redis one but the issue is a general one.

When running under the ManyToOneGlobalTest umbrella, the associations
are created as separate documents.

The behavior of the test is the following:

========================

=== Creation phase

Create a SalesForce with 2 SalesGuys associated.

The association is managed by SalesGuy.

It creates 4 documents:
SalesForce1
SalesGuy1
SalesGuy2
SalesForce1_SalesGuy navigational information

=== Let's delete the SalesForce1 entity

It removes the SalesForce1 document (note that SalesGuy.salesForce has
a @NotFound(action = NotFoundAction.IGNORE) annotation).

So we end up with having:
SalesGuy1
SalesGuy2
SalesForce1_SalesGuy navigational information [1]

=== Then we delete the 2 SalesGuy

SalesGuys1 removed
-> SalesForce_SalesGuy navigational information updated
SalesGuy2 removed
-> SalesForce1_SalesGuy navigational information removed as it is empty [2]

========================

In [1], we still have the navigational information for SalesForce1 <->
SalesGuys.

With the new grouping infrastructure, I don't save every operation to
the datastore as it's currently done. I have to store the Association
object somewhere to keep track of the association state so I store it
in OgmEntityEntryState in a Map<String, Association>, the key being
the role of the association, just next to the Tuple which has the same
purpose. It works perfectly well except that when we arrive at [2],
the OgmEntityEntryState for SalesForce1 is gone as the entity has been
removed in [1] so I can't access the OgmEntityEntryState of the entity
and so the association document is not removed (and thus the test
fails as it checks there isn't any entity/association left).

Gunnar proposed the idea of storing the inverse Associations in the
OgmEntityEntryState of the association owner. It's indeed one way to
solve the issue.

The issue with this approach is that we need to have the association
owner when we create the AssociationPersister and, while it's not a
problem for most of the cases, I don't see how I can do it in
OgmLoader#getResultSet. I posted a WIP patch here:
https://gist.github.com/gsmet/e18ccb7d3f3494bb334647e540d0d4d0.

Opinions, thoughts?

--
Guillaume