[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search: Adding more "hidden" fields to the index

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Thu Apr 27 10:11:29 EDT 2017

I wonder, what's the benefit for HSEARCH-2616? Do you want to have that
field so that we can just use AddLuceneWorks everywhere, and run targeted
delete operations when we start a partition? If so, is it as a fallback
solution, if what I proposed cannot be implemented, or as a better
alternative? Note I don't have strong arguments against that solution, I'm
just trying to understand the "why".

On adding a hidden field, I wonder what this will mean for Elasticsearch;
if we start doing such things, we should clearly and explicitly state in
the documentation that targeting existing ES schemas without adapting them
to Hibernate Search is not supported.
On top of that, it may hurt users upgrading Hibernate Search: Lucene may
simply ignore queries against a field that doesn't exist in the index, but
I'm not sure Elasticsearch behaves that way when the field isn't even
defined in the mapping. So users may have to upgrade their schema just for
that. I know Elasticsearch integration is experimental anyway, but what I
mean is if we do that, it must be *before* Elasticsearch we drop the
"experimental" mention on Elasticsearch integration.

Yoann Rodière
Hibernate NoORM Team
yoann at hibernate.org