[hibernate-dev] Hibernate ORM modules for Wildfly 11

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Aug 30 11:38:25 EDT 2017

On 29 August 2017 at 20:28, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Then I think we should update 5.2 as well, but that creates an interesting
> concern in that the published artifact name would change if I understand
> correctly because it would change the artifact's classifier from
> `wildfly-10-dist` to `wildfly-11-dist`.  Things that refer to this artifact
> as a dependency would no longer work.

Sorry but I'm not understanding. To be clear: I only patched master,
so I already updated 5.2 and yes I can confirm that the classifier
changed accordingly.

I don't see this as a big deal for users, I updated the ORM
documentation accordingly to mention the new classifier. IMO changing
target appserver is not expected to be "as automatic" as changing some
dependencies, and it's unlikely to not be noticed so having to change
the classifier shouldn't be a big deal.

It is possible that some users would feel left down by us no longer
"supporting" WildFly 10 but I thought we were on the same page about
that?

Regarding ORM 5.1: there's no need, as WildFly already includes it so
why would someone want to use our 5.1 modules when they already have
the same version out of the box.
I can see how they potentially might want subsequent micros `5.1.x+1`
but we need to draw a line somewhere: if it's really critical a new
WildFly `11.0+0.1` should appear.

Thanks,
Sanne