[hibernate-dev] Killing hibernate-jpa-api ?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Dec 13 08:04:49 EST 2017

On 13 December 2017 at 13:54, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Considering the spec contracts are defined by the EG under the JCP, I'm not
> sure where we ever stood legally with publishing this under any other
> license.  Either way, I am not concerned about the license aspect - I think
> it is a reasonable expectation that if I am using a jar produced by a spec
> that use of that jar is covered by the JCP under which it was produced.

+1
Also, we'll be switching to use the official ones anyway. That's an
orthogonal concern, my goal with this thread is to sunset our custom
fork with least possible friction, but it's not going to live much
longer for sure.

> Sanne, my concern about publishing the relocation artifact is that the
> expectation is that we keep publishing them ever time there is a new spec
> version.  Right?

Not really. Think of it as Deprecation: it will trigger some warnings
for end users, especially those who didn't get the "news" of moving to
the new API, and keep things working for a little longer for those
people not willing (able?) to react right away to resolve the
warnings.

We can keep a deprecated method (jar) around for a couple more
releases, or drop it as soon as it gets too inconvenient to maintain.
It's definitley not a promise of long term.