[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Commons project

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Tue Jan 31 05:34:52 EST 2017

Hi,

Some thoughts:

== Group Id ==

Should be something like "org.hibernate.common" as per our discussions
from last week.

== Repo organization ==

I would prefer to have the AsciiDoc style, shared testing utilities
and other utilities in separate repos, not a shared one. To me, a repo
represents a coherent unit of "things" with its own lifecycle. Updates
to the style should not mandate an update of the version of the
testing and other utilities, so they should be in their own repo. This
should also make it easier in terms of licenses (no need for
relicensing).

== Unified Appearance ==

Now that's one field where we really should strive for consistency:
the different projects of the Hibernate umbrella should have one
shared doc style for the sake of unified and professional experience.
That's much more important than aligning on build profile names and
the like.

I don't have a strong opinion on which style it should be; the only
thing I really dislike about the current ORM one is that there is no
TOC on the side as we have it for HV. That makes it very impractical
to navigate.

--Gunnar