[hibernate-dev] Migration path from 3.6 to 5.2

Prasanth Mathialagan prasanthmathialagan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 17:40:39 EDT 2017

Hi,

We have been using hibernate-orm in our application for a long time. The
version of hibernate we use is 3.6.10.Final. I know it is archaic. We would
like to migrate to the latest stable version (5.2) to reap the benefits of
new optimizations and features. Initially we thought about upgrading to
4.x. Since we are also doing Java 8 and Spring 4 upgrades, we have decided
that it would be better to migrate hibernate to 5.2 together.

I know it is not possible to migrate from 3.6 to 5.2 directly.I have
checked online for migration guides. But I am bit off about which path
should I take to migrate (eg. 3.6 to 4.3 to 4.5 to 5.2). Can someone help
me with figuring out minimum number of migrations from 3.6 to reach 5.2? I
would be grateful if you could point me to some resources