[hibernate-dev] HHH-10622

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Jun 22 09:37:31 EDT 2017

I believe the only things you can do via hbm.xml that you cannot do in
annotations are:

1) alternate (non-pojo) "entity modes".  Makes sense because you'd have
nothing to annotate, there would also be nothing to enhance
2) proper entity name support.  This is the feature where you can map the
same class multiple times using different entity names.  E.g. map the class
Account twice as "Account" and "DelinquentAccount".  Again this is
something that cannot be enhanced anyway.
3) property-ref proper.  JPA, and thus annotations, defines associations
based on columns rather than attributes.  But again this has no bearing on
enhancement.

Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.  Maybe others can
chime in if they know of others.

And no, you cannot use hbm.xml and annotations to define parts of mapping
for the same entity the way you can with annotations and orm.xml.  In fact
that is the point of 7.0, we will move to an extended orm.xml schema as the
Hibernate-specific XML mapping.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017, 11:55 PM Gail Badner <gbadner at redhat.com> wrote:

> I seem to remember there used to be some Hibernate-specific functionality
> that was available using hbm.xml mappings that is not available using
> Hibernate-specific annotations. If that is still the case, can you remind
> me of what that functionality is?
>
> If this is still the case, can an entity be mapped with annotations (to
> take advantage of enhancement) and with hbm.xml (to take advantage of
> Hibernate-specific functionality not available with annotations)?
>
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't plan to spend time fixing it until we re-work the mapping/binding
>> code in 7.0.  If someone else wants to take it on we will of course
>> consider that work for inclusion earlier.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 4:37 PM Gail Badner <gbadner at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any plan to fix HHH-10622, or do applications need to be
>>> converted
>>> to annotations to use enhancement in 5.0 forward?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Gail