[hibernate-dev] [Search and more] What is new in a give release

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Sep 8 11:55:54 EDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:45 AM Yoann Rodiere <yoann at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> If I understood correctly, the main difference between what I did and what
> you want is you don't want a "hub" pointing to different versions, you want
> to redirect to the page for the latest version, and from there allow to
> move to another version using drop-down.

That's not what I was saying.  You can even see that in what the wikis I
pointed to.

I pointed out the drop down to illustrate that this information is all
version-specific (as is release information obviously).  Vlad did it that
way because the way hibernate.org is currently defined made that by far
easier to do this just for ORM.  A real solution (which you are trying)
would require much larger "infrastructure" changes than we have resources
to tackle.  So no, that's not my ideal set up - I've already said that my
ideal set up would be that hibernate.org itself was built to just handle
this because it is true for every multi-release sub-project and its silly
for each sub-project to devise different ways to manage this.  You
obviously thought the same since that is what you are trying to do.

In terms of my ideal, let's look in terms of URLs...  Essentially I want to
move hibernate.org/{project}/documentation and
hibernate.org/{project}/downloads under a "version scheme", so
hibernate.org/{project}/release/{version}.  "version" here means family
(5.0, 5.1, etc).  There would also be 2 extra version related urls:

   1. hibernate.org/{project}/release/latest - latest-stable-release
   2. hibernate.org/orm/release - your "hub", similar to my wikis (
   https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/wiki/Release-Notes,
   https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/wiki/Migration-Guides, etc)

What I was saying with redirects is that we'd have the left nav links point
to "hibernate.org/{project}/release/latest".  IMO that matches what most
people would expect.

Each release's page (hibernate.org/orm/release/5.2 e.g.) would contain:

   1. synopsis - the purpose of and high-level changes in the release
   2. links to its documentation
   3. some form of list of its specific micro releases.

I never said your work did or did not have any of these specifics.

As you said, most of this information is currently spread over blog post
announcing the release.