[hibernate-dev] Releasing Hibernate ORM 5.2.18.Final?

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:17:56 EDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 4:05 PM Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:

> It's never realistic to say "it's THE last ..." so I guess I agree we
> can show a bit of flexibility - but people should not get used to it,
> we can not re-establish a plan of regular releases from 5.2.

Sure, that's not what I suggest. Just that we shouldn't put too much
pressure on "it's THE LAST release, we need to get everything in order" or
we won't release anything at all.

So it's more about saying: if we find a big issue or if we introduce a big
regression, we can fix this one and release again.

FWIW, 5.2.18 was planned for June 18th and already contains *62* resolved
issues.

But yes, the idea is no more 5.2 release after this one if we can avoid it.
E.g. no active backport of 5.3 bugfixes.

> We have to severely limit the time we can dedicate to it. Also please
> make sure people are motivated to update to 5.3, they better have
> extremely good reasons to not upgrade, and I would like to know more
> about those reasons. Could you take some notes when you hear such war
> stories?

So, the last one I heard is a user needing to support JPA 2.1 containers. I
think it's a good one.

> Of course we can be more flexible with needs of contributors. If
> someone needs a backport and is volunteering to do 90% of the work
> then we can help, but we can't spend significant more time than
> approve changes and trigger the release jobs. No blogs.

I think we need to push an announcement but it can be really simple with
just a link to the fixed issues. There's really not much more to say about
it anyway.

--
Guillaume