[hibernate-dev] 6.0 Alpha1 prep

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:27:25 EST 2018

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 2:47 PM Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Previously (last year's f2f) we had decided to unify the artifact naming
> conventions; specifically for ORM this meant renaming the groupId from
> `org.hibernate` to `org.hibernate.orm` as part of 6.0.  I wanted to see if
> everyone still agrees with this.

Yes. We have renamed Validator and Search for their respective 6 already.

> There are a few artifacts we need to decide how to handle:
>
>    - `hibernate-entitymanager` and `hibernate-java8` have been part of
>    `hibernate-core` since 5.2 (I thought moving `hibernate-entitymanager`
>    happened way earlier, but seems like not).  Should we drop these?  They
>    have been defined as relocations for quite some time now).

So it's a detail but it's pretty handy to have relocations for these
artifacts in the case of our test case template as we can test various
versions without changing anything.

If it's not a nightmare, I would keep them.

>    - `hibernate-ehcache` defines support for using Ehcache 2 as a
>    second-level cache, which is a version the Ehcache team does not even
>    support anymore and have not for quite a few years.  Ehcache 3 is a
> JCache
>    compliant version and the way that the Ehcache team prefer to handle the
>    integration (in fact they wrote most of `hibernate-jcache`).  IMO this
>    should be removed as well.  Thoughts?

Last release was 2.10.6 of October 2018. So it's still alive. I know we
have users still using it.

If JCache covers all the features we had before, we could remove it and see
how people reacts to it. It would still be time to reinject it later if
someone comes up with a very compelling use case.

And be done with it, if not.

>    - `hibernate-infinispan` - support for using Infinispan as a Hibernate
>    L2C has been moved to the Infinispan project. Again, IMO this module
> should
>    go away.  Thoughts?

No opinion here.

--