[hibernate-dev] 6.0 Alpha1 prep

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Dec 5 10:36:51 EST 2018

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 at 13:56, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> As I am preparing the Alpha1 release a few topics of discussion have come
> up...
>
> Previously (last year's f2f) we had decided to unify the artifact naming
> conventions; specifically for ORM this meant renaming the groupId from
> `org.hibernate` to `org.hibernate.orm` as part of 6.0.  I wanted to see if
> everyone still agrees with this.

+1

> There are a few artifacts we need to decide how to handle:
>
>    - `hibernate-entitymanager` and `hibernate-java8` have been part of
>    `hibernate-core` since 5.2 (I thought moving `hibernate-entitymanager`
>    happened way earlier, but seems like not).  Should we drop these?  They
>    have been defined as relocations for quite some time now).

+1, relocations need to be cleaned up eventually and this is a good time.

>    - `hibernate-ehcache` defines support for using Ehcache 2 as a
>    second-level cache, which is a version the Ehcache team does not even
>    support anymore and have not for quite a few years.  Ehcache 3 is a JCache
>    compliant version and the way that the Ehcache team prefer to handle the
>    integration (in fact they wrote most of `hibernate-jcache`).  IMO this
>    should be removed as well.  Thoughts?

+1

>    - `hibernate-infinispan` - support for using Infinispan as a Hibernate
>    L2C has been moved to the Infinispan project. Again, IMO this module should
>    go away.  Thoughts?

About this one, and the `hibernate-envers` you mentioned in previous
email, it would be nice to help people a little more. Especially
Envers's integration as it just happened.

I wouldn't make it a release requirement though; I propose to not get
distracted by such details at this stage - we can always add a
truckload of such metadata later according to feedback - even beyond a
0.Final

Similarly the WildFly modules I contributed just recently :-/ .. feel
free to remove those, we'll see to re-introduce support as needed, and
IF needed.

I'd propose to ignore OSGi headers as well - not sure of the
consequences though, so let's keep it IF it's not too much of a
burden. We can re-introduce support and tests in a later feature
release.

Thanks,
Sanne