[hibernate-dev] 6.0 Alpha1 prep

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:03:40 EST 2018

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 4:47 PM Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:28 AM Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So it's a detail but it's pretty handy to have relocations for these
>> artifacts in the case of our test case template as we can test various
>> versions without changing anything.
>>
>> If it's not a nightmare, I would keep them.
>>

> Define nightmare ;)
>
> As for "test case templates", that is code we write/control - so not
> understanding that point.

When someone uses our test case template, I often check if the issue also
applies to previous versions. Often helps to narrow down the issue.

If artifacts are consistent across versions, it's easier.

It's convenient, not required.

> Last release was 2.10.6 of October 2018. So it's still alive. I know we
>> have users still using it.
>>

>> If JCache covers all the features we had before, we could remove it and
>> see how people reacts to it. It would still be time to reinject it later if
>> someone comes up with a very compelling use case.
>>
>> And be done with it, if not.
>>

> Not sure what to tell you about a new release aside from saying that we
> often continue to release very old versions of ORM even though we do not
> support them. The existence of a release does not mean it is supported.  I
> have been told by the Ehcache developers that version 2 has not been
> supported for many years (and that was almost a year ago).  Interpret that
> how you want I guess.
>
> As for users still using it, that is a documentation issue imo.  I had
> discussed this with Vlad previously that we ought to prefer
> hibernate-jcache + ehcache 3 in the documentation, but it looks like that
> has not happened.  Vlad?

Let's agree to agree on this one and remove it :).

>>    - `hibernate-infinispan` - support for using Infinispan as a Hibernate
>>

>>>    L2C has been moved to the Infinispan project. Again, IMO this module
>>> should
>>>    go away.  Thoughts?
>>>

>> No opinion here.
>>

> I am curious.  Why is this different to you compared to
> hibernate-ehcache.  To me it is the same exact situation.

 It's mostly the "If JCache covers all the features we had before" I
mentioned above that makes the difference. For Infinispan, we decided
JCache was good enough. As for Ehcache, I'm wondering it all the features
are exposed.

The other thing is that I don't really know when the Infinispan code has
been moved so I don't know if it's too early to remove it without
relocation or not.

So, no opinion :).

--
Guillaume