[hibernate-dev] master and 6.0 branch

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Dec 6 07:53:28 EST 2018

Today, I promise ;), I will release 6.0 Alpha1.  But I wanted to start a
discussion about managing the master and 6.0 branches in terms of
commit/push.  To date we (mostly Andrea and Chris, thanks guys!) have had
to perform very painful "merging" from master to 6.0.  As 6.0 was in a
pre-Alpha state, that was fine.  However, now that we are starting the
Alpha release cycle, that is no longer reasonable.  So as of today we
really need a new strategy here.  However it works out, changes made to
master than also affect 6.0 should be done in both places.

This has 2 benefits IMO:

   1. Obviously it removes the need to perform these massive,
   time-consuming "merges"
   2. A great side effect is that it gets people with 6.0 code base
   differences.