[hibernate-dev] master and 6.0 branch

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Dec 6 10:03:56 EST 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 13:17, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I don't particularly like it.
>
> We have very few resources to work on 5.x and clearly we won't be able to
> do that + learn about 6 in parallel and fix issues in both, probably in 2
> completely different ways. And we won't really be able to know if it
> doesn't work because it's not implemented yet, not fully functional, same
> buggy or new buggy.
>
> We don't push that many things to 5.x so maybe you could explain why the
> merges are so painful so that we can try to make them less so?

It's 200,000 lines of code difference. Just don't make any change on 5
- it's not a good use of our time either, since the future is 6.

As you said in the previous paragraph, we're a small team and we can't
keep developing 2 branches of the same project.

5.x needs to be moved into strictly maintenance only, so please stop
pushing big changes to 5.x unless there's a very important reason - we
need to move on towars a situation in which all innovation happens on
6 aka master.

Thanks,