[hibernate-dev] master and 6.0 branch

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 12:11:25 EST 2018

> Le 6 déc. 2018 à 16:03, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> a écrit :
> It's 200,000 lines of code difference. Just don't make any change on 5
> - it's not a good use of our time either, since the future is 6.

Make 5.x a dead branch is not a good option.

Especially, since we don’t know when we will release 6.

We already reduced to the bare minimum the effort spent on 5.x.

But answering users, reproducing their bugs and fixing them is not a waste of time.

Even for 6 as that means we have a test case of something that’s validated as supposed to work.

And it can also nourish the 6 design.

> As you said in the previous paragraph, we're a small team and we can't
> keep developing 2 branches of the same project.
>
> 5.x needs to be moved into strictly maintenance only, so please stop
> pushing big changes to 5.x unless there's a very important reason

You say that as if we pushed big changes to 5.x lately.

That’s not the case.

Now if you ask me if we should have a more strict bug fix only policy on 5.x, I couldn’t agree more.

That’s what I asked for the CR. I wanted it to be even more strict for CR = only regressions from 5.3.

Couldn’t get it to be respected though.

—
Guillaume