[hibernate-dev] Stride

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 04:16:20 EDT 2018

On 07/30/2018 06:20 PM, Yoann Rodiere wrote:
> If we must compare Zulip to emails, cross-posting to multiple mailing lists
> would be equivalent to posting to different "streams", which are the
> equivalent of "rooms" in HipChat or "channels" in IRC.
> Short answer is: you can't do that, you have to duplicate the conversation.
> But so would you in HipChat, or IRC, or Slack, or any chat software I've
> ever heard of.
>
> If you are talking about have a single conversation inside a single
> "stream"/"room"/"channel" with multiple topics (like "JPA 2.2, CDI
> integration, and also cache SPIs"), well... create a topic just for that
> ("JPA+CDI+Caches"). Or use the default topic (called "(no topic)").
>
> I don't think the primary reason for topics is archiving and finding older
> conversation. They help doing that, but their main purpose is to enable
> multiple concurrent conversation to run their course *in parallel, in a
> single "stream"/"room"/"channel"*. You can just focus on one topic and
> temporarily ignore all other topics. Which is nice, but not necessarily
> important in our case, since it's quite rare that we have multiple
> conversations going on simultaneously in a given room. Though one could
> argue that it's rare precisely because we don't have topics and
> understanding each other would be very difficult.

There are often some parallel discussions on mailing list(s). The thing
is that since Infinispan moved to Zulip the -dev list has become more of
an announce-list, 95% of discussion moved to Zulip - just because it's
faster to discuss it that way. Also if the discussion is not on a
mailing list but couple of selected people, it's easier if that's just a
topic on private stream and you can notify more people about that,
keeping the history. (You can't add people to a strictly private
conversation and let them see the history, though).

Radim

> Yoann Rodière
> Hibernate NoORM Team
> yoann at hibernate.org
>

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 at 17:45, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
>
>> I am not asking about a "supart".  Think about topics that we cross post to
>> hibernate-dev and willdfly-dev or hibernate-dev and infinispan-dev... so
>> the discussion *simultaneously* spans multiple topics/audiences.
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 9:27 AM Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Same as in an email thread, you change the topic for a subpart of your
>>> conversation. You can opt to fork the topic name at a
>>> given point in time retroactively (which you don't get for emails).

>> emmanuel at hibernate.org>

>>> emmanuel at hibernate.org>

>> of
>>> casual