[hibernate-dev] Stride

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Fri May 18 05:22:38 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 12:16 AM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org>
wrote:

> Steve pointed out multiple flaws e.g. the native client packaging
> broken on Fedora, to which Atlassian pretty much replied by letting us
> know they won't invest in HipChat as the future is Stride. We can
> choose when to switch but staying doesn't look sensible to me as it
> certainly won't improve; it's also likely that they'll want everyone
> migrated eventually so to shut the existing service down.

Well, "multiple flaws" is AFAIK:
1/ the packaging of the native client (well, native is a big word, it's
just a packaged webapp);
2/ the guest access/registration.

For 1/, did someone install the Stride client to be sure it's better?

2/ We don't have any guest access on Stride for now, WDYM by self
registration is better? IMHO, it would be nice to have GitHub/Google
authentication integration. I expect most people won't want to create an
account just to ask a quick question.

And let's not forget all authentication nonsense; especially days that
> I'm working more on the WildFly side of things and need to login to
> multiple instances I really look forward to a better system (hopefully
> it is!?).

Will it be better? Shouldn't we coordinate with WildFly to see where they
want to go?

If they don't go with Stride, it won't solve your issue.

The only way to fix this issue is to coordinate with all the projects you
have an interest in and choose the same tool (and check that the tool
allows authentication on several instances at once or has a centralized
instance).

AFAICS from Radim's email, Infinispan has already chosen another tool...

> Question, since you want a decision: are you only suggesting to delay
> or suggesting that you should rather stay on HipChat?

I say that we know HipChat sort of works for us as a daily coordination
tool (not talking about discussions with external people). We have no idea
Stride will.

And this recent comment
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STRIDE-1973?focusedCommentId=1796169&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-1796169
makes me think it's still half baked. It's only one comment but I don't
think there are lots of people already migrated there.

Frankly, the fact that moving to Stride is a one way street and we will
lose our coordination tool if it doesn't work well makes me feel
uncomfortable.

> Personally, I'm fine delaying a bit even though I can live happily
> without Jenkins notifications, but let's hear the others as well.

I just want to be able to do my job. That's basically my only requirement.

>From my point of view, it seems like a rushed decision that won't solve the
issues we have, and will potentially create others as we will be migrating
to beta software.

--
Guillaume