[hibernate-dev] Stride

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Tue May 22 04:26:25 EDT 2018

I think the problem here is about how we're choosing to migrate to another
tool. We are basically moving to Stride because Atlassian is being
uncooperative with updating HipChat, even though Stride is still not fully
functional.
Atlassian made HipChat, and we're not happy with HipChat. Atlassian made
Stride too, so let's not trust them blindly? Sure, we can always move to
another platform after moving to Stride, but it'll be a waste of time for
everyone. Let's see what our options really are, first!

I don't think we have many needs, and frankly I don't care which tool we'll
be using. I'd rather it be open source, but I'll just use whatever we pick
in the end, as long as I can write messages and receive messages. But I
want people to be on this platform: both the team, and ideally community
members. So let's just make sure everyone is at least comfortable with our
choice.
Sure some features are not useful to everybody, but in the end it's a
matter of taste and personal workflow, and we can't argue about that
without enforcing a standardized workflow. I think it would be more useful
to just list what we want, then see which platforms fit best, then pick
one, compromising as needed.

I started a document to compare various solutions, feel free to add
anything you think is relevant:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oiI_SO4O5OwTx7Fd8_lvhOvVcIIYLbnSY1MAqemz-JI/edit?usp=sharing

... But I think the one criteria that will make us pick Stride is free
hosting. Most other platforms either do not have a free plan, or do not
provide all of their features to free plan users. Zulip apparently removes
OAuth authentication in its free plan, for instance. The Infinispan team
has OAuth authentication enabled though... Do they pay for their Zulip
instance?

Of course if we could host it ourselves it would be another story, but I
doubt anyone wants to add that to the list of tools we currently maintain.