[hibernate-dev] ORM 6 branch

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Nov 27 08:34:40 EST 2018

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:22 AM Davide D'Alto <davide at hibernate.org> wrote:

> +1 for the creation of the branch upstream and everything Yoann said.
>
> One curiosity,  once there is an alpha, why would you delete the whole
> branch?
> Couldn't you change everything on the existing branch without deleting it?
> It's unusual to rewrite the history of upstream branches but we have
> done it before.

Well first, I never said it would be deleted after the Alpha.  I said it
would be deleted *at some point*, meaning at some point after 6 is moved to
master.

Also, IMO, topic branches upstream are generally speaking a very bad idea.
So this is something we hardly ever do - maybe y'all do on other projects,
dunno.  But either way, it is very common for a topic branch to go away
eventually.

As far as re-writing history, sure it is unusual but we are already in the
realm of unusual merely by having a topic branch upstream