[hibernate-dev] API removal proposal: org.hibernate.resource.jdbc.ResourceRegistry#cancelLastQuery

Gail Badner gbadner at redhat.com
Fri Aug 16 16:23:56 EDT 2019

Hi Sanne,

I've confirmed that current versions of WildFly and EAP do not call that
ResourceRegistry#cancelLastQuery.

ResourceRegistry was introduced in 5.0. As of 5.0.16, cancelLastQuery() is
not used by Hibernate ORM.

At least as far back as 4.2, SessionImpl#cancelQuery
called JdbcCoordinator#cancelLastQuery(), which deals with
JdbcCoordinatorImpl#lastQuery (not ResourceRegistry#cancelLastQuery).

I believe that an application could only reach ResourceRegistry through an
SPI ; for example, via
* SharedSessionContractImplementor.getJdbcCoordinator().getResourceRegistry
(deprecated since 5.2);
or
*SharedSessionContractImplementor.getJdbcCoordinator().getLogicalConnection.getResourceRegistry().

My preference is to follow our normal process for removing an SPI.

In general, we try not to remove SPIs within a minor release (e.g., 7.x).
We normally deprecate the method in 7.x. The soonest we would remove it
would be in 7.x+1.

Regards,
Gail