[hibernate-dev] JDK 12: First Release Candidate available

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Feb 18 07:39:52 EST 2019

Hi Rory,

we've tested JDK 12 build 32 and it's working fine for Hibernate ORM;
some more Hibernate projects are being tested soon - we'll let you
know.

While testing for this, we've hit an annoying build problem with
Javadoc though; I've commented here:
 - https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8212233?focusedCommentId=14245762

Most notably this isn't a big deal for Java 12 as we just need to add
a flag, but it's affecting Java 11 too. On the 11 version it's more
annoying because the build parameters might need to change depending
on specific micro versions, and it's tricky to handle that with our
current crop of build tools, so I would rather see Java 11 revert to
its original semantics - possibly downgrade this to a build warning?

Not to mention that there's a flag in Java 12 to get it to work, while
Java 11 doesn't have any known workaround - our solution is to keep
building on the first release of Java 11, which was unaffected. I'd
rather see this relaxed in the next micro though, as we can't
otherwise cover those.

Thanks,
Sanne