[hibernate-dev] [ORM] Reducing startup log verbosity

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Jan 11 08:20:26 EST 2019

Guillaume - I added a general start-a-discussion comment to the PR.
Hopefully anyone with an opinion on that can chime in there.  Beyond
that, +1

Sanne - ok, I see.  You are not expecting users to have to deal with
wrapping/scrolling because you limit the presented information to an
arbitrary set of values.  That's certainly an option.  My only caution
there is that this is an arbitrary list of values-of-interest.

We all agree version is important.  It is beyond that that we start to have
different preferences.  I think everything beyond that is DEBUG-level
info.  For any additional values, I worry about the arbitrary nature of
what we present and don't in this message.  I mean to me, the same argument
that leads to "caching enabled/disabled" being important enough to list
also dictates that CDI integration is important enough too.  Same for
BytecodeProvider, ConnectionProvider, ...  Its this question of where we
draw the line that concerns me.  And if we are drawing an arbitrary line,
why are we drawing that line at all?

I'll eagerly await your discussion about enabling caching by default ;)