[hibernate-dev] Which branch to target?

Mark Rotteveel mark at lawinegevaar.nl
Fri Jun 21 11:09:15 EDT 2019

On 2019-06-19 12:12, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 14:19, Mark Rotteveel <mark at lawinegevaar.nl>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 16-6-2019 16:28, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
>> > After a significant hiatus, I have restarted my work on adding improved
>> > support for Firebird 2.5 and 3.0 (and more importantly struggling
>> > through some test failures).
>> >
>> > I am wondering what I should target for my changes: the current master
>> > branch or the upstream/wip/6.0 branch. What would be the preferred or
>> > 'better' option?
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> sorry for the late reply, I think we'll need Steve to give you a
> definitive answer.
> Just wondering, would your patches be significantly different?

At this point I have only looked at master, so I don't yet know if there
would be significant differences or not.

> As far as I know branch wip/6.0 is a bit in flux ATM, so it might be
> safer to just target master.
> Or send them to both if that's easy for you?

I can probably do that as well.

>> On a related note, I have touched a lot of tests to either skip them
>> or
>> make some changes to make them pass. What is the best approach: commit
>> together with the dialect changes, or offer the dialect change in a
>> separate pull request from all those test changes?
>
> Either works for us. Maybe it's easier for you to first send a PR with
> all testsuite improvements?

Most of the test changes rely on the presence of the new dialects I
created for Firebird 2.5 and 3.0 (for dialect-specific checks, or to
skip the test for a dialect). A single PR seems like a logical choice,
but the new dialects could be the first PR and the test changes as a
follow up.

Mark