[hibernate-dev] Remove or disable the WildFly feature packs of Hibernate ORM?

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Thu Apr 16 02:22:17 EDT 2020

Hello,

As far as I know, the feature packs are here for two reasons:

1. To test compatibility of ORM with WildFly while still developing it.
2. To provide non-official (wrt. WildFly) ways to upgrade ORM to the latest
version within WildFly.

#1 does not look *that* important for 5.5, since we only run a handful of
tests, not the whole test suite, and I expect the JPA 3 migration will
require extensive testing in WildFly's master branch anyway.
#2 looks pointless for 5.5 at the moment as JPA3 is unlikely to work in
older versions of WildFly (for the reasons you mentioned, and probably also
because of Jipijapa).

So, +1 to drop it for now. I assume you'll do the same for OSGi?

If we end up doing this, I'll do the same for Hibernate Search 5.12 (which
I haven't started yet - please ping me when you think it's worth working
on?)

As to the future... We've talked about running the whole (huge) test suite
in various environments, perhaps through Arquillian or some custom
framework. It looks like a lot of work, and I'm not sure we'll ever manage
to do that completely, but if we ever restore WildFly tests, I'd feel safer
if we go that route than just write a few tests targeting WildFly
specifically. Maybe at that point we'll have the testing framework already
in place and that will be easy? A man can dream :)

Yoann Rodière
Hibernate Team
yoann at hibernate.org