[hibernate-dev] Jakarta EE: JPA 3.0 is coming

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 10:19:18 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 2:48 PM Yoann Rodiere <yoann at hibernate.org> wrote:

> > In particular I wonder, how would you all feel if (for example)
> > Hibernate ORM 5.5.x were to depend on both JPA 2 and JPA 3 API
> > artifacts?
>
> Mixed feelings, to be honest

Same here. I thought we decided against supporting both at the same time.

As for HV, I won't. HV 7 will only support jakarta packages all over the
place. And if you want jakarta packages, you will have to use HV 7. And
it's going to be a big bang, meaning you also need jakarta-package CDI and
so on.

That is an important point for ORM too because that means you will have to
also support both legacy CDI and new jakarta CDI if you want to support
both at the same time. Pretty sure it's going to be a nightmare.

Quick feedback on the HV move: it was relatively easy (but it's less
code/complex than ORM).

>From my point of view, the options are:
1/
- release an ORM 5.5 with Jakarta packages but it will break all existing
applications in a minor, not ideal
- move 6 to jakarta packages too to avoid conflicts

2/
- rename 6 to 7 (or 8)
- release a 6 (or 7) with jakarta packages

I don't think tying the Jakarta package release to the 6 cycle is a good
idea so that's not an option for me.

Note that in any case, some patches will be significantly harder to
backport to 5.4 (and vice versa).

--
Guillaume