[infinispan-dev] Infinispan configuration

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Jun 5 09:36:43 EDT 2009

On 5 Jun 2009, at 14:16, Vladimir Blagojevic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I asked to work on "Document all configuration options available in
> XML and the Configuration beans on the wiki" JIRA [1] thinking that
> it would be a familiar task - something similar to what Bela and I
> did in JGroups.
>
> However, now, after learning a bit about how infinispan is
> configured, how configuration is maintained, I would suggest we do a
> bit more in a scope of this task, if possible. Being a newbie, it is
> highly likely that I am overlooking some details. I would keep all
> current configuration beans, that is all subclasses of
> AbstractConfigurationBean but introduce annotation(s) for those
> beans that would:
>
> - have some form of configuration xpath element matching xml element
> in conf file
> - describe each configuration option in plain english
> - ref to classes to process certain complex elements

Yes, this is what I had in mind, except that since there is to 1 to 1
mapping between config bean and XML element, I would annotate each
method (setter?) with a reference to the XML element in question (full
path to it - e.g., infinispan/namedCache/cluster/sync) as well as
default value, allowed values and a plain-English description.

> and others as the need arise.
>

> I would also:
>
> - remove current hand maintained schema

+1

> - create schema by automated tools given metadata in annotations

+1

> - create all human readable documentation from these annotations ;
> my original JIRA [1]
> - read all configuration elements from xml using metadata in
> annotations thus avoiding "by hand" reading we have now

+1.

> Let me know what you think and especially you, Mircea (being most
> familiar with conf), if you think this is feasible.

All sounds great, however I would break this up into a 2-step process
with 2 separate JIRAs.  The current JIRA - just annotate the config
beans and generate documentation, and the 2nd JIRA to use this
metadata to generate XSD and parse XML.

Cheers
Manik
manik at jboss.org