[infinispan-dev] Warning about JBMAR 1.2 upgrade

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 09:48:22 EDT 2009

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2009, at 16:49, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've upgraded trunk to JBMAR 1.2.0.CR1. There's a couple of tests
>> failing due to https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBMAR-59 which is
>> already fixed and will be included in 1.2.0.CR2. I'll upgrade to that
>> asap.
>>
>> Failing tests due to these issue are:
>>
>> JBossMarshallerTest.testExceptionResponse
>> ReplicationExceptionTest.testLockAcquisitionTimeout
>>

>> Finally, with 1.2 upgrade, payload of all objects marshalled with
>> JBMAR are smaller than with the old marshaller. Bela will like this! :)
>
> Great.  I also notice that you have completed the VAM fix.  This is good
> news too, to versioning bits will be minimised on the stream.  Again,
> leads to faster execution and smaller payloads.

Yeah, I had analysed the objectToStream calls made within for loops this
from were coming from trying to apply persistent state, so as long as
versioning is written done when the stream is started, that's enough to
find out what version to use to marshall/unmarshall the entire state stream.

I have further ideas though: For example, do we forsee different
Infinispan instances (each diff version) using the same database table
in case of a JDBCCacheLoader? Also, do we forsee the same happening with
a FileCacheLoader in terms of location? If yes, we still need individual
entries to contain version information. Otherwise, we could even reduce
version information writing to once in the table, or once for the entire
FileCacheLoader location.

> Nice one!
>
> Cheers
> --