[infinispan-dev] Warning about JBMAR 1.2 upgrade

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Jun 5 10:27:36 EDT 2009

On 5 Jun 2009, at 14:48, Galder Zamarreno wrote:

> Manik Surtani wrote:
>> On 4 Jun 2009, at 16:49, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've upgraded trunk to JBMAR 1.2.0.CR1. There's a couple of tests
>>> failing due to https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBMAR-59 which
>>> is already fixed and will be included in 1.2.0.CR2. I'll upgrade
>>> to that asap.
>>>
>>> Failing tests due to these issue are:
>>>
>>> JBossMarshallerTest.testExceptionResponse
>>> ReplicationExceptionTest.testLockAcquisitionTimeout
>>>

>>> Finally, with 1.2 upgrade, payload of all objects marshalled with
>>> JBMAR are smaller than with the old marshaller. Bela will like
>>> this! :)
>> Great.  I also notice that you have completed the VAM fix.  This is
>> good news too, to versioning bits will be minimised on the stream.
>> Again, leads to faster execution and smaller payloads.
>
> Yeah, I had analysed the objectToStream calls made within for loops
> this from were coming from trying to apply persistent state, so as
> long as versioning is written done when the stream is started,
> that's enough to find out what version to use to marshall/unmarshall
> the entire state stream.
>

> I have further ideas though: For example, do we forsee different
> Infinispan instances (each diff version) using the same database
> table in case of a JDBCCacheLoader? Also, do we forsee the same
> happening with a FileCacheLoader in terms of location?

Hmm.  I'm guessing the answer is no - unless it is a shared cache
store.  But then switching on whether a cache store is shared or not
will prevent people reconfiguring a cache store from being shared to
not, or vice versa.

> If yes, we still need individual entries to contain version
> information. Otherwise, we could even reduce version information
> writing to once in the table, or once for the entire FileCacheLoader
> location.

I don't think individual entries need this, I think each bucket
probably does.

manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan
Lead, JBoss Cache