[infinispan-dev] JMX stuff in infinispan

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Wed Mar 25 10:18:58 EDT 2009

On 25 Mar 2009, at 14:08, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> Mircea Markus wrote:
>> Manik Surtani wrote:

>>> +1 on the mandatory index.
>> I think mandatory indexes would confuse users, as they configured
>> an jmxDomain in clear text and see an different on the server. Even
>> more, they might want to enforce an domainName for other reasons
>> (e.g. thay have other modules expose under that domain name etc).
>> I would like the user to be aware of the fact that there is an
>> conflict and take action, rather than dig through logs first and
>> then curse the developer who wrote the code.

Then an ConfigurationException is the best approach.

>> What about:
>> 1) forbid a registration under same domain. Cache won't start as
>> registration is done at startup, an exception will be thrown.

Yup

>> 2) add an configuration attribute named forceAutoIncrement
>> (default=false). The user would have to manually enable it.Also,
>> the error message at 1) would inform him about this attribute, so
>> the change should be quite straight

Perhaps call this "allowDuplicateDomains"?  Default to false as you
say, but if this is true, always use a counter so that the first
instance would be <jmxDomain>:0?

> I think an option to name the manager is needed. I'll be running
> multiple managers in the same AS, and people are going to need to be
> able to access them by name, not by a number that varies based on
> what order the managers are started in.

This is your jmxDomain.  You have a single <global /> section per
cache manager.

The issue is the overlap when you have multiple cache managers which
happen to have the same name.

Cheers
Manik

Lead, JBoss Cache