[infinispan-dev] Still confused with the merge messages in Infinispan Git repo

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 10:47:01 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm confused by this now. Why did Trustin had to merge my ISPN-774 in master?

https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/commits/master

Here's what I did:
1. Branch for ISPN-779 of master (last commit=X)
2. Do work, commit (commit=Y).
3. sync + rebase with master (everything looks good)
4. push ISPN-779 with -f
5. Branch for ISPN-774 of master (last commit=X)
// Master here has no ISPN-779 yet - previously, in svn, it would have had but here it does not - is this why the merge has to happen when pulled?
6. Do work, commit (commit=Z)
7. sync + rebase with master (up to date already)
8. push ISPN-774 with -f

This is a very common case where you finish a JIRA and you get on with another one immediately. What is the best practice to keep history linear here? I can't just wait for my pull to be dealt with.

Maybe when I branched for ISPN-774 in master, I should have rebased of master *and* ispn779_master to keep history linear? But if I did so and then I had to change ISPN-779 for whatever reason, wouldn't it get messy?

Thoughts?
Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache