[infinispan-dev] JoinTask.broadcastNewCh

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 08:12:50 EST 2011

On 2/10/11 1:07 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is something Bela has brought up while working on integrating RELAY in infinispan.
> Right now it's the joiner (JoinTask) that broadcast the new CH to the cluster members. In the case of RELAY, this wouldn't be that good as the joiner might be on a remote site and this means a potentially costly RPC.

On top of that, IMO it would be simpler for every member to compute its
new CH *itself*, rather than relying on a new joiner to do that.

> Isn't it possible for all the existing members to determine the new CH internally on the @viewChanged call and not wait for new joiner's broadcast?

+1

Let me give a bit of background. In RELAY I can have members A in one
local cluster and B in a different cluster. RELAY connects both to form
a virtual view {A,B}.

So, when A has been started and B starts up, what happens is that B will
get view {B} first, before getting {A,B}.

When B gets {B}, it becomes the coordinator and doesn't start a JoinTask
because it has the correct view. When B gets the new view {A,B}, it
handleView() is does *not* broadcast the CH either, because the view is
not a merge view. This results in the CH on B having a membership of
{A,B}, but A's CH only has a membership of {A}, thus A will *not*
distribute its data to B !

I think the simplest solution here would be to simply compute the CH on
a viewChange(); this way, we don't even have to have communication
across the cluster to determine the new CH.

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team