[infinispan-dev] protobuf as a marshalling format for infinispan remote-query

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Jul 1 03:29:42 EDT 2013

Ah it's quite sad protostuff does not live up to the expectation :(

Compared to the google libs, streamlike is definitely a nice approach but I feel a bit sad to have to use marshallers and the read/write pattern. Having maintained compatibility of Java serializable object, such approach gives me the creep. How would your read code end up after a couple of evolutions, with ifs and other condition branches? There is no example in your tests that I could find.

Do you think either the protostuff approach or even protostuff itself is salvageable ? From a user point of view, I tend to like this approach more than the stream one. Especially since I don't have to do anything for the first schema version.

Emmanuel