[infinispan-dev] protobuf as a marshalling format for infinispan remote-query

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Mon Jul 8 15:06:28 EDT 2013

On 1 Jul 2013, at 09:29, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Ah it's quite sad protostuff does not live up to the expectation :(
>
> Compared to the google libs, streamlike is definitely a nice approach but I feel a bit sad to have to use marshallers and the read/write pattern. Having maintained compatibility of Java serializable object, such approach gives me the creep. How would your read code end up after a couple of evolutions, with ifs and other condition branches?

Compared with serializable objects, ProtoStream offers runtime validation based on the proto file which should help maintenance.

> There is no example in your tests that I could find.
>
> Do you think either the protostuff approach or even protostuff itself is salvageable ?

There were prototypes written with conversion between domain objects and protoXyz generated classes and the code quite ugly.

> From a user point of view, I tend to like this approach more than the stream one. Especially since I don't have to do anything for the first schema version.

Mircea Markus
Infinispan lead (www.infinispan.org)